Action Figure Overview: Metal-Man - Roton (Zee Toys / Zylmex, 1979 or earlier)

Zee Toys / Zylmex Metal-Man: Roton

With a confusing similarity in appearance to some of the 3 3/4" Mego Micronauts and little to no advertising, the Metal-Man toy line of die-cast action figures has all but faded into obscurity.  Of the figures released, the blue and silver Radon is the one I see most often (click HERE for my Radon review), but he was hardly the only Metal-Man on the shelves!

Metal-Man action figures: Major Mercury, Roton, & Radon

 Today, I would like to take a look at Roton, the red and silver Metal-Man who seems to have possibly been released later in the line.  Radon, Major Mercury, Sergeant Silver, and Corporal Chrome have all been found on cards marked 1976 while as far as I know, Roton has not.  Additionally, Roton has been seen with fewer packaging variations than the rest of the figures, so it would make sense if the others hit the stores before Roton.  I have seen him in the 1979 Zee Toys catalog, so I know that he was available at least by 1979.  I wouldn't say Roton is rare, but packaged examples certainly don't show up very often at all!  I have seen him under the Zylmex brand packaged in a cardboard box with clear plastic window on the front, but I've read that he also came packaged with a Recharge Capsule and packaged with a blue Flying Saucer in a set exclusive to Sears.

Metal-Man Roton with his Recharge Capsule

The Roton figure in my collection is not in the package.  It's not a figure I had when I was a kid, but one acquired more recently.  Although not as similar to the Micronauts as the Radon figure, I could see someone easily mistaking Roton for a Micronaut with his similar articulation, the die-cast construction, and his red & silver paint scheme.

Metal-Man "Roton" action figure

 As you already know, the movie Star Wars was a huge hit in the late 1970s and the Kenner merchandise sold like crazy.  However those famous Star Wars figures weren't available right when the movie came out, so kinds were scrambling for science fiction themed action figures.  I'm sure many Micronauts and Metal-Man figures served as stand-ins for C3P-O and Imperial Storm Troopers until the Kenner figures could be acquired.  Even then, what kid in the late 70s wouldn't want MORE robots to add to his Star Wars figure collection!  Roton in particular, I could see standing in for Maximilian from the 1979 movie "The Black Hole" or Sark from the 1982 movie "Tron."

Zee Toys / Zylmex Metal-Man "Roton" action figure

Did you have Roton or other Metal-Man figures as a kid...or do you have them now?  If so, did you think any of the Metal-Man figures were Micronauts?  Tell me below in the comments!

If you collect toys, you should know about Toylanta, the best toy show in the Southeastern United States held annually in Georgia.  Visit Toylanta.com for more information.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOTU Eternia Minis Review and Package Codes series 1 & 2 (Mattel, 2020)

Action Figure Overview: Steel Monsters - Metal Face (Tonka, 1986)

Phantom Starkiller: History and Future of The Cosmic Ghoul Warrior!