With a confusing similarity in appearance to some of the 3
3/4" Mego Micronauts and little to no advertising, the Metal-Man toy line
of die-cast action figures has all but faded into obscurity. Of the figures released, the blue and silver
Radon is the one I see most often (click HERE for my Radon review), but he was
hardly the only Metal-Man on the shelves!
Metal-Man action figures: Major Mercury, Roton, & Radon
Today, I would like to take a look at Roton, the red and
silver Metal-Man who seems to have possibly been released later in the line. Radon, Major Mercury, Sergeant Silver, and
Corporal Chrome have all been found on cards marked 1976 while as far as I
know, Roton has not. Additionally,
Roton has been seen with fewer packaging variations than the rest of the
figures, so it would make sense if the others hit the stores before Roton. I have seen him in the 1979 Zee Toys
catalog, so I know that he was available at least by 1979. I wouldn't say Roton is rare, but packaged
examples certainly don't show up very often at all! I have seen him under the Zylmex brand packaged in a cardboard box with clear plastic window on the front, but I've read that he also came packaged with a Recharge Capsule and packaged with a blue Flying Saucer in a set exclusive to Sears.
Metal-Man Roton with his Recharge Capsule
The Roton figure in my collection is not in the
package. It's not a figure I had when I
was a kid, but one acquired more recently.
Although not as similar to the Micronauts as the Radon figure, I could
see someone easily mistaking Roton for a Micronaut with his similar
articulation, the die-cast construction, and his red & silver paint scheme.
Metal-Man "Roton" action figure
As you already know, the movie Star Wars was a huge
hit in the late 1970s and the Kenner merchandise sold like crazy.However those famous Star Wars figures
weren't available right when the movie came out, so kinds were scrambling for
science fiction themed action figures.I'm sure many Micronauts and Metal-Man figures served as stand-ins for
C3P-O and Imperial Storm Troopers until the Kenner figures could be acquired.Even then, what kid in the late 70s wouldn't
want MORE robots to add to his Star Wars figure collection!Roton in particular, I could see standing in
for Maximilian from the 1979 movie "The Black Hole" or Sark from the
1982 movie "Tron."
Zee Toys / Zylmex Metal-Man "Roton" action figure
Did you have Roton or other Metal-Man figures as a kid...or
do you have them now? If so, did you
think any of the Metal-Man figures were Micronauts? Tell me below in the comments!
If you collect toys, you should know about Toylanta,
the best toy show in the Southeastern United States held annually in
Georgia. Visit Toylanta.com for more
information.
IG-88: Bounty Hunter! (Kenner, 1980) When I was a kid, I thought Star Wars figures were the coolest thing ever! As soon as I found discovered that new figures were coming out for The Empire Strikes Back, I had to have them. It was early 1980 and I was probably at the height of my love of Star Wars. These were the first new figures in about a year and I was very excited about their release! 10 NEW Kenner Star Wars figures for 1980! The 10 NEW figures that Kenner put out in 1980 for The Empire Strikes Back were a bit of a mixed bag. The wave included awesome figures like the Bespin Luke Skywalker, Rebel Soldier and Imperial Stormtrooper in Hoth Battle Gear, and Han Solo in his Hoth Outfit! On the other hand, there were figures like the FX-7 Medical Droid which barely seemed like an action figure at all to me and the Leia figure in her Bespin Gown which didn't seem as ready-for-action as her Hoth outfit. Even though they didn't appear in the movie much, ...
"Red" looks out over the marsh. Adventure People Set #307 Wilderness Patrol The Fisher-Price Adventure People were first available in 1975. These extremely durable 3 3/4" action figures and toys were very popular throughout their run from 1975 to 1985. Even through the rigors of play, Adventure People and their vehicles were so well made that a large number of them are still around today in good condition. They are also some of the earliest 3.75" action figures on the market and were even used as the base figure for many of the Kenner Star Wars prototypes. My childhood Adventure People Set #307 "Wilderness Patrol" Fisher-Price created many popular sets for the Adventure People line ( see my post on the Cycle Racing Team set #356 here! ) Even though I only had a few sets as a kid, I was familiar with many of the other sets because most of the kids I knew had at least one or two of them that were different from the ones that I had. One po...
GI Joe RAH: Cobra Rifle Range Unit (Hasbro, 1985) From 1982 through 1984, I loved GI Joe toys! I think I had every figure and vehicle for the first three waves. I picked up every issue of the comic book and I sometimes watched the cartoon. By the time the fourth wave hit the shelves in 1995, I was still a big fan, but no longer a completist when it came to these real American heroes. Don't misunderstand, I was as at maximum excitement to finally have action figures of the Dreadnoks! I had been reading about them in the comics and just thought they were the greatest. Even with the fourth wave, I picked up almost all of the figures, but the vehicles and such just didn't grab me as they had before. I did have the Bridge Layer (although I honestly don't know why) and the awesome Snow Cat! I must have never seen the Cobra Night Landing raft in stores because that's definitely a piece that I would have liked. However, for some reason,...
Comments
Post a Comment