Fortnite: "Green Glow" Skull Trooper Walgreens Exclusive Review

Before I knew anything about Fortnite (for those of you who don't know, it's a video game), I started noticing the 7" Fortnite action figures in the toy isles.  More specifically, I started noticing the Skull Troopers.  The other figures didn't really catch my eye, but as a fan of the classic monsters and the Halloween season in general, a skeleton action figure will usually stand out to me; especially a skeleton who looks more like Johnny at the Halloween Dance from the movie The Karate Kid.  I didn't think much about the figures at the time until I started noticing that the skeleton guy wasn't with the other Fortnite figures anymore.  Even then, it wasn't really a big deal to me.  After a while, I saw a 4" version of the figure and I made a mental note that he was called a "Skull Trooper." It started to bother me that I hadn't paid more attention when the 7" version was on the shelves, so I looked them up online.

My search revealed to me that McFarlane Toys had just released a Walgreens Exclusive "Green Glow" version of the Skull Trooper.  I'm a sucker for Glow-In-The-Dark, so I decided to pick up one of these new figures.  I saw several photos from various Walgreens stores of display stands made specifically for the "Green Glow" Skull Troopers.  I checked 5 Walgreens and couldn't find any.  In fact, most didn't have anything related to Fortnite at all.  I asked a couple of employees and they didn't know what I was talking about.  A search of Walgreens website wasn't helpful either.  I tried to find out the retail price online and couldn't even find that.  So I headed over to ebay and found one in the box for under $16 shipped.  Just from seeing the prices on the other Fortnite figures in the various stores, I thought that was probably a decent price, so I bought it.

The packaging for this figure is pretty cool.  I like the color scheme and the artwork.  It's a different color scheme than the original Skull Trooper box.  This version of the packaging is also narrower than the original version and the figure comes with fewer accessories.  It does come with a display stand and a clear axe-like weapon called a "Skull Sickle" which is designed to look like a weapon from the game.  But it doesn't include a gun or backpack like the original version had.

The figure itself is very similar to the original with only a couple of differences.  The first version had a white hood whereas the Green Glow Skull Trooper has a black hood.  The head seems to be molded in Glow-The-Dark plastic with the face details and the black hood painted on top.  The rest of the body is molded in black with the Glow-In-The-Dark paint on top.  As with the first version, there are many points of articulation and the figure can hold a wide variety of poses...making it easy for him to "sweep the leg?"


In terms of scale, I put the Green Glow Skull Trooper up next to a Masters of the Universe Classics Skeletor figure.  Both figures are about the same height with Skeletor being more muscular than the Skull Trooper.  If I had a Scare Glow figure, I would have photographed the Skull Trooper with him.  In fact, I had thought the Skull Troopers look like they could be Scare Glow's minions.  Overall, I'm happy with the figure.  I would have liked for the ankles to swivel from side to side so that it was easier to position the legs in more poses with both feet flat on the ground, but that's a minor complaint.

What do you think of the of the 7" Green Glow Skull Trooper figures?  Is there a line of 7" figures that he would fit with in your collection?  Tell us in the comments!

Also, if you collect toys, you should know about Toylanta, the best toy show in the Southeastern United States held annually in Georgia.  Visit Toylanta.com for more information.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOTU Eternia Minis Review and Package Codes series 1 & 2 (Mattel, 2020)

Action Figure Overview: Steel Monsters - Metal Face (Tonka, 1986)

Phantom Starkiller: History and Future of The Cosmic Ghoul Warrior!