Imaginext Series 11 Wrestlers: A Tribute to 1980s Mattel M.U.S.C.L.E. Men


2018 Imaginext Series 11 wrestlers and 1986 M.U.S.C.L.E. figures
The Back of my Nestle Quick M.U.S.C.L.E. can
One day around 1986, I decided to make myself a glass of chocolate milk.  When I pulled the container of Nestle Quick out of the cabinet, I saw one of the coolest toy promotions ever!  Inside each container of Quick was a little pink wrestling figure called a M.U.S.C.L.E.!  I opened the container and immediately started digging around for the toy.  It was spectacular!  Not only did this coincide with the height of my interest in wrestling, but the figure smelled like a magical combination of new-toy plastic and chocolate (and it smelled that way for the entire time I played with my little pink wrestling figures).  This was my introduction to the M.U.S.C.L.E. toys.

Over the time I collected M.U.S.C.L.E. figures, I picked up a pile of the little guys.  I built two wrestling rings and made miniature event posters promoting their wrestling bouts.  Aside from the two main characters, Muscleman and Terri-Bull, who were introduced by a little cartoon on the back of each 4-pack, I didn't know any of the other figures had names, so I named the others myself.  I had lots of fun with these guys and I thought they were great!  As often happens with toys, something new came along after a while that took my attention and my M.U.S.C.L.E. figures went back into their shoe box for a very long hibernation.
Cartoon introducing Muscleman and Terri-Bull on the back of a M.U.S.C.L.E. 4-Pack

2018 Imaginext Series 11 Wrestlers
A few years ago, I started collecting the Imaginext blind bag figures with Series 1 which included a luchador.  When it comes to the Imaginext blind bag line, I'm not a completest.  I just get figures that I like.  For the most part, I'm not interested in the sports guys or some of the more mundane characters.  I pick up anything monster related and most of the space or robot guys.  With that said, I've picked up at least one figure from almost every series.  When series 11 came out, I was blown away.  There were several figures that were made as tributes to old toys from the 1980s.  One of the blind bags included not one, but TWO little pink wrestlers who looked an awful lot like Muscleman and Terri-Bull!  Unlike the other Imaginext figures which are hard plastic with several points of articulation, the "Wrestlers" are soft flexible plastic and have no articulation.  Although they're taller than M.U.S.C.L.E. figures, have a slightly softer feel, and several cosmetic changes, the similarity is undeniable.  Also, they are the only two-pack that I've ever seen in the Imaginext blind bag line.  These figures are a neat nod to the little pink wrestlers of my childhood, so I was happy to pick them up...along with all of the other cool figures from Imaginext blind bag Series 11!

Although the Imaginext figures are sold in blind bags, there are codes on the back so that you can determine which figure is in each bag.  I have a list of all of the series 11 codes HERE if you'd like to pick up any of these figures and want to know what you're getting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOTU Eternia Minis Review and Package Codes series 1 & 2 (Mattel, 2020)

Action Figure Overview: Steel Monsters - Metal Face (Tonka, 1986)

Phantom Starkiller: History and Future of The Cosmic Ghoul Warrior!